Meeza is an Egyptian electronic payment systems provider for domestic transactions within Egypt. It is supported by the Egyptian government and is regulated by the Egyptian Central Bank and the national Egyptian Banks Company (EBC). Meeza provides similar electronic payment services as MasterCard and Visa but can only be used locally inside Egypt. The name Meeza means “advantage” in Egyptian Arabic.
Meeza was established in early 2019, to provide a national payment scheme supporting a cashless society in Egypt. By the end of 2019, Meeza has issued about 4 million payment cards for use within the Egyptian network.
In October 2020, Meeza started offering free prepaid cards to Egyptians, which can be used locally and can not be used outside Egypt.
Products and services
Meeza produces bank cards and mobile wallet applications for local transactions within Egypt. Meeza payment cards are accepted in merchandise stores and government organisations across Egypt, in addition to online Egyptian e-commerce websites. Meeza issues both prepaid payment cards and bank account debit cards. The cards are issued by most of the major banks in Egypt like National Bank of Egypt (NBE), Banque Misr, Alex Bank, Banque du Caire, Commercial International Bank (CIB), and other Egyptian banks. The Meeza card products also include contactless cards for point-of-sale outlets supporting them.
- ^“Meeza cards free in several banks until November 1: ministry”. Egypt Independent. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c “Egyptians must use e-payment for all govt services and fees from May”. Al-Ahram. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- ^“Egypt ushering in e-payments”. Al-Ahram. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- ^“Meeza Products”. Egyptian Banks Company. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- ^“The United Bank launches electronic payments through the national card “Meeza””. The United Bank. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- ^“Egypt’s banks issue 3.2mln Meeza cards until end of October”. Zawya. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- ^ Jump up to:ab “Meeza cards, the Egyptian national payment scheme push for financial inclusion in Egypt”. FinTech Egypt. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- ^“CBE official: Banks issue 4m Meeza cards so far”. Egypt Today. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- ^“Egyptian banks issued 4mln Meeza cards: CBE official”. Zawya. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- ^“طريقة الحصول على كارت “ميزة” مجانًا ضمن مبادرة الشمول المالي”.مصراوي.كوم. Retrieved 2021-01-05.
- ^“Souq.com (an Amazon company) accepts Meeza cards for online purchases”. Souq.com. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- ^“CIB Meeza Prepaid Cards”. Commercial International Bank (CIB). Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- ^“Meeza prepaid cards by Alex Bank”. Alexbank.com. Retrieved 29 December 2019.