iModerate Research Technologies is an American qualitative market research firm that integrates instant messaging between consumers and professional moderators to generate market insights and to increase the quality of online surveys. iModerate is recognized for its one-on-one online interviews with consumers, which are designed to generate qualitative information about consumers’ emotions and decision-making processes.
iModerate partners with organizations across a range of industries, including the food and beverage, retail, media, and entertainment industries. The company has worked with over 30% of the companies on the Fortune 100 list, and also works with political campaigns to test the effectiveness of political ads and messages. As of 2013, iModerate has conducted over 100,000 conversations with consumers. The company is headquartered in Denver, CO.
iModerate was founded by Carl Rossow, Joel Benenson, Scott Rossow, Jen Drolet and Adam Rossow in 2004 to provide large organizations with more insightful market research. The company was created to introduce more extensive insights into market research by utilizing one-on-one, real-time conversations with consumers.
The approach was considered novel at the time when most marketing research was being conducted through traditional focus groups and standard online surveys.
Prior to founding iModerate, Carl Rossow led the Denver research firm Innovative Survey Research, and was the head of internal polling operations for U.S. President Bill Clinton from 1996 to 2000.
iModerate moderators hold real-time, one-on-one conversations with consumers. The overall conversation-based approach is designed to provide the client with deeper consumer insights.
During the conversations, iModerate moderators collect qualitative feedback from the consumer, such as the ways the consumer uses a given product or service. In many cases, the qualitative conversations are conducted in conjunction with online surveys for a more comprehensive hybrid research approach.
iModerate’s qualitative offering is based on a proprietary approach and analysis framework called ThoughtPath. The framework is developed from cognitive theories and empirical information derived from previous conversations.
Awards and recognition
- iModerate was ranked #2 in Customer Service by the Annual Survey of Market Research Professionals.
- GreenBook Research Industry Trends named iModerate #11 in the GRIT Top 50.
- iModerate partnered with Decision Insight and Frito-Lay on a virtual ethnography that won the American Marketing Association EXPLOR award in 2006.
- iModerate was ranked on Inc’s 2009 and 2011 list of the 5000 fastest growing private companies.
- iModerate won the 2012 Colorado AMA Peak Award for a social media project with Coca-Cola and Integer.
- iModerate was ranked on Lead411’s Technology 200 list in 2011.
- iModerate was ranked in the Top 250 Private Companies in Colorado in 2011.
- iModerate was ranked in the Top 250 Private Companies in Colorado in 2009.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c d e Mook, Bob (February 12, 2006). “Taking your word for it”. Business Journals. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c d e “iModerate Research Technologies”. Crunch Base. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c d e “iModerate Research Technologies”. INC. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c d “iModerate Research Technologies”. Green Book. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c d “iModerate”. iModerate. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c d e f g h i j “Our Story”. iModerate. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- ^“People On the Move”. Business Journals. Retrieved 3 April 2013.