AlphaSights is an information services company, specializing in connecting clients with experts, sometimes referred to as an expert network. The company’s clients include professionals operating in management & strategy consulting, investment management, private equity, corporate and professional services firms with interests in a range of markets including technology, industrials, consumer goods, telecommunications, utilities, financial services, healthcare, consumer services, basic materials, and oil and gas.
AlphaSights is headquartered in London and has offices in New York, Hamburg, Dubai, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Shanghai, Seoul, and Tokyo.
The company was founded in 2008 and incorporated in 2009 in London by Max Cartellieri and Andrew Heath. They met at Stanford Business School in California, but each founded different companies before founding AlphaSights. Cartellieri co-founded Ciao AG, a leading European price comparison website, backed by Munich-based Venture capital investor Acton Capital Partners and ultimately acquired by Microsoft (MSFT). Heath co-founded GoIndustry, an online marketplace that trades surplus industrial goods all over Europe, now part of GoIndustry DoveBid.
Growth and expansion
AlphaSights opened its second office in New York City and third office in Hong Kong in 2011 before opening further offices in Dubai in 2013, San Francisco in 2015, Seoul, Hamburg and Shanghai in 2016. In 2013, the company was named the third fastest-growing company headquartered in the UK by The Sunday Times Fast Track 100 and has appeared on the list every year since, placing 11th in 2014, 21st in 2015, 41 in 2016 and 81 in 2017. In April 2017, AlphaSights was named as one of the fastest-growing and most disruptive companies headquartered in Europe by the Financial Times.
Knowledge for Good (KFG)
In 2014, AlphaSights launched Knowledge for Good, its social impact business unit. Through Knowledge for Good, AlphaSights partners with social impact organizations including impact investors, social enterprises and nonprofit consultancies to provide its services at no or low cost. AlphaSights’ partners include Acumen, Ashoka, TechnoServe, Nesta, and CDC Group.
- Named among the fastest-growing companies headquartered in the UK by The Sunday Times– 2013, 2014, 2015
- Named a Silver winner in the Company of the Year (Medium) category for the Best in Biz Awards – 2014
- Named a Global leaderin the 2019 Expert Network Market map
- ^“Wall Street’s secretive ‘expert networks'” The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- ^“List of Expert Networks” Business Insider. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- ^“CBRE Brings on Jeff Fischer as a First Vice President in Manhattan Office” Commercial Observer. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ^“Latest tech lease a sign of the Times” Real Estate Weekly. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- ^“Oidtmann und Wossagk sind neue Managing Partner bei Acton Capital”. VC Magazin. Nov 11, 2013.
- ^“Microsoft accelerates pursuit of Google with $486m Ciao buyout” The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- ^“Going, going gone! Online auctions take off” Computer Weekly. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- ^“These are Britain’s fastest-growing private companies”London Loves Business. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- ^“FT 1000: Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies”Financial Times. Retrieved 2017-04-27.
- ^“ACUMEN PARTNERS WITH ALPHASIGHTS TO BETTER ACCESS GLOBAL EXPERTISE” Acumen. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ^“Sunday Times Virgin Fast Track 100” Archived 2016-03-05 at the Wayback Machine The Sunday Times. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- ^“2014 winners: Company categories” Best in Biz Awards. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ^“Expert network market size” Retrieved 2020-01-25.